1. Decide how much home you can afford. Generally, you can afford a home equal in value to between 2 and 3 times your gross income.
2. Develop a wish list of what you’d like your home to have. Then prioritize the features on your list.
3. Select three or four neighborhoods you’d like to live in. Consider items such as schools, recreational facilities, area expansion plans, and safety.
4. Determine if you have enough saved to cover your downpayment and closing costs. Closing costs, including taxes, attorney’s fee, and transfer fees average between 2 and 7 percent of the home price.
5. Get your credit in order. Obtain a copy of your credit report.
6. Determine how large a mortgage you can qualify for. Also explore different loans options and decide what’s best for you.
7. Organize all the documentation a lender will need to preapprove you for a loan.
8. Do research to determine if you qualify for any special mortgage or downpayment assistance programs.
9. Calculate the costs of homeownership, including property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and association fees, if applicable.
10. Find an experienced REALTOR® who can help you through the process.
Source: REALTOR Magazine
Welcome to My Blog!
I have been a resident of the Fox Cities for over 35 years. I was raised in the area and now my wife and I choose to raise our 4 girls here because of the great place it is to live. Being a real estate professional starts with a passion to want to assist other people get what they are looking for. My main focus is on listening to people so I can learn what is most important to them. When a customer closes on their new property it is the start of a life long relationship. It is my goal that people are so delighted with their experience that there is no doubt that not only will they return, but they will also refer their family and friends. As a member of the Werth team our focus on delighting customers has made us the #1 RE/MAX team north of Milwaukee!